Thursday, October 24, 2013

Blueberry Banana Bread!

Brrrrrrrr!

It's cold... last night, heading out to get my son's hair cut, it was snowing. I would have been excited, except it was mixed with rain, which makes for a cold day out! I don't really mind snow, not at all actually (living in Michigan, you better be at peace with it or find a new state!), but I  can totally do without the rainy/sleet/slush/ice/snow mix that often comes about this time of year. I say if it's going to snow, go big or go home (or back to Alaska). I like snow, in big quantities... you know, the kind that keeps you inside for a couple days, cancels school. You know what I'm talking about. Those are the best times of the winter. Snow days. Sledding, ice skating, ice fishing, hot chocolate, caramel corn... best days of winter.

You know, I was thinking today, and I have purchased only one box of cereal in the last three months. Yep, that's it. One. That was a special treat for the kiddos for after school snacks, because Miss Spunk (that would be the 6 year old) had tagged along on a shopping trip and was so well behaved. It was the only thing she asked for in that whole excursion, so it was her reward. :) Reeses Peanut Butter Puffs... They were in Heaven for that week. :)

I love cooking breakfast every morning, but 6 months ago, if you would've asked me how I felt about getting up early to cook breakfast, I would have laughed. Early? What's early? At the time, Tiny Tornado was up every hour on the hour, until about 8am, then he would fall sound asleep until 10 or 11... right smack dab between his daddy and I! It was the only sleep I got, I had to take advantage of it, and though there were many times we had eggs and toast at 11:30am, usually you would find 10-12 boxes of cereal in my pantry at any given time. YIKES! No wonder my grocery bills were so much higher, cereal is certainly not the most budget friendly breakfast!

Speaking of breakfast, we tried a couple of new things this week. Okay, three to be exact. Two of the three were hits with everyone, and while this morning's breakfast wasn't the fave (it involves blueberries, and for some odd reason I can't quite understand, 3 of my 4 kidlets dislike blueberries!), they ate it with little complaint.

Tuesday morning we experimented with breakfast burritos. I'm sure I'm so late to the game. My guess is many of you have made these before, but until recently, we were stuck in the same egg/pancake/waffle/cereal/pop tart rut, so this was new to us!

I simply cooked up a pound of breakfast sausage, 6 scrambled eggs (I always mix my eggs with milk before cooking), and some shredded cheese. Wrapped them up and browned them on the griddle, probably 3 minutes each side. My kids went crazy over these. The girls even packed one for their lunches at school.



(sorry my pic is sideways... )

Dinner last night was not a crowd pleaser. I actually loved it, but The Littles not so much. I packed some leftovers in The Hubby's lunch today, so we shall see what his opinion is. Either way, it's not being added to our menu options for the future, simply because the majority rules. If it were up to me, I'dd keep it and toy with the recipe a bit...I did double the recipe to accommodate my family and I ended up adding bacon crumbles to the leftovers to change the flavor up a bit. I think if I were to make it again, I would use less Greek yogurt, or add something in to override the yogurt taste a little more.

*The first thing the kids noticed was the yogurt taste... the second thing was the spinach. Ha!




Here is the recipe I used:
http://www.cookingalamel.com/2013/08/creamy-greek-yogurt-mac-cheese.html?crlt.pid=camp.wQI0ejUBdpOm



My favorite recipe so far this week... Banana Blueberry Bread.

This was more than amazing, and though my kids aren't fans of blueberries, they still liked it enough to eat it. I definitely be adding this one to my files, and did I mention how awesome it smells while baking? My house smelled divine at midnight (yeah... I am a night owl).

This recipe is a bit more healthy than normal breads of this nature. It uses whole wheat flour along with white (although you could easily use all whole wheat), and uses Greek yogurt flavored with honey. The recipe itself calls for the Chobani honey flavored yogurt, but since Meijer doesn't carry that flavor, or not that I could find anyway, I just added my own honey.




You can find the recipe on this blog:
http://jferriswheelof.blogspot.com/2013/01/blueberry-banana-bread-with-chobani.html


So tasty... there is one small piece of this left, and I am using the utmost restraint in not devouring it!


And last but not least, a wonderful little treat my son introduced me to!

Cinnamon bananas!!
These are so easy! Slice the banana up, sprinkle generously with cinnamon, sprinkle a little bit of sugar (he used brown sugar when he made them last night), and set them in the fridge for a couple of hours, uncovered. I guess they served these at his school last year and he fell in love. He looooves bananas. If he isn't making these for an after school snack, he usually is making a banana smoothie instead.

I have to admit, I was a little hesitant when he first made them, for some reason, it just didn't sound like a good combination, but I was wrong. Oh so wrong! They are now one of my favorite snacks!






Hope you found something you liked today! I'll be back soon with new treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment